Skip to main content
Lin Yutang
Member since March 2026 · 56 posts
6 months 4 days ago

My faith in human dignity consists in the belief that man is the greatest scamp on earth. Human dignity must be associated with the idea of a scamp and not with that of an obedient, disciplined and regimented soldier.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Ch. I : The Awakening, p. 12
6 months 4 days ago

It is not so much what you believe in that matters, as the way in which you believe it and proceed to translate that belief into action.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Ch. I : The Awakening, p. 8
6 months 4 days ago

I distrust all dead and mechanical formulas for expressing anything connected with human affairs and human personalities. Putting human affairs in exact formulas shows in itself a lack of the sense of humor and therefore a lack of wisdom.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Ch. I : The Awakening, p. 5
6 months 4 days ago

It is important that man dreams, but it is perhaps equally important that he can laugh at his own dreams.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Ch. I : The Awakening, pp. 4-5
6 months 4 days ago

A vague uncritical idealism always lends itself to ridicule and too much of it might be a danger to mankind, leading it round in a futile wild-goose chase for imaginary ideals.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Ch. I : The Awakening, p. 4
6 months 4 days ago

While in the West, the insane are so many that they are put in an asylum, in China the insane are so unusual that we worship them, as anybody who has a knowledge of Chinese literature will testify.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Ch. I : The Awakening, p. 3
6 months 4 days ago

It is not when he is working in the office but when he is lying idly on the sand that his soul utters, "Life is beautiful."

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Ch. I : The Awakening, p. 2
6 months 4 days ago

This is a personal testimony, a testimony of my own experience of thought and life. It is not intended to be objective and makes no claim to establish eternal truths. In fact I rather despise claims to objectivity in philosophy; the point of view is the thing. I should have liked to call it "A Lyrical Philosophy," using the word "lyrical" in the sense of being a highly personal and individual outlook...

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Preface
6 months 4 days ago

I like spring, but it is too young. I like summer, but it is too proud. So I like best of all autumn, because its leaves are a little yellow, its tone mellower, its colours richer, and it is tinged a little with sorrow and a premonition of death. Its golden richness speaks not of the innocence of spring, nor of the power of summer, but of the mellowness and kindly wisdom of approaching age. It knows the limitations of life and is content. From a knowledge of those limitations and its richness of experience emerges a symphony of colours, richer than all, its green speaking of life and strength, its orange speaking of golden content and its purple of resignation and death.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Epilogue, p. 328
6 months 4 days ago

To the West, it seems hardly imaginable that the relationship between man and man (which is morality) could be maintained without reference to a Supreme Being, while to the Chinese it is equally amazing that men should not, or could not, behave toward one another as decent beings without thinking of their indirect relationship through a third party.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
p. 106

CivilSimian.com created by AxiomaticPanic, CivilSimian, Kalokagathia