I have received, sir, your new book against the human species, and I thank you for it. You will please people by your manner of telling them the truth about themselves, but you will not alter them. The horrors of that human society—from which in our feebleness and ignorance we expect so many consolations—have never been painted in more striking colours: no one has ever been so witty as you are in trying to turn us into brutes: to read your book makes one long to go on all fours. Since, however, it is now some sixty years since I gave up the practice, I feel that it is unfortunately impossible for me to resume it: I leave this natural habit to those more fit for it than are you and I.
0
⚖0
▼Source
source
Letter to Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 30 August 30, 1755 [https://books.google.com/books?id=04c9AAAAYAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=voltaire%20letters&pg=PA149#v=onepage&q&f=false] | Referring to Rousseau's Discourse on Inequality
The king [Frederic] has sent me some of his dirty linen to wash; I will wash yours another time.
0
⚖0
▼Source
source
Reply to General Manstein. Voltaire writes to his niece Dennis, July 24, 1752, "Voilà le roi qui m'envoie son linge à blanchir"; reported in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 10th ed. (1919)
If there were only one religion in England there would be danger of despotism, if there were two they would cut each other's throats, but there are thirty, and they live in peace and happiness.
0
⚖0
▼Source
source
Letters on England, letter 6, "On the Presbyterians", trans. Leonard Tancock (Penguin Books, 1980) p. 41, published first in English in 1733
Go into the London Stock Exchange – a more respectable place than many a court – and you will see representatives from all nations gathered together for the utility of men. Here Jew, Mohammedan and Christian deal with each other as though they were all of the same faith, and only apply the word infidel to people who go bankrupt. Here the Presbyterian trusts the Anabaptist and the Anglican accepts a promise from the Quaker.
0
⚖0
▼Source
source
Letters on England, letter 6, "On the Presbyterians" as quoted in Richard H. Dees, Trust and Tolerance (London and New York: Routledge, 2004) p. 92, published first in English in 1733
If I had had more time, this letter would have been shorter.
0
⚖0
▼Source
source
Written by Voltaire in an over-long letter to a friend, quoted to A. P. Martinich in Philosophical Writing: An Introduction, Note to the Second Edition (1996)
Variants: The adjective is the enemy of the noun. Quote attributed in Arthur Schopenhauer (translated by Mrs Rudolf Dircks), Essays of Schopenhauer (2004), Kessinger Publishing, p. 31