Skip to main content
↑ Back to the start
5 months 3 weeks ago
Is Wagner a human being at all? Is he not rather a disease? He contaminates everything he touches - he has made music sick.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Der Fall Wagner (1888)
5 months 3 weeks ago
The modern scientific counterpart to belief in God is the belief in the universe as an organism: this disgusts me. This is to make what is quite rare and extremely derivative, the organic, which we perceive only on the surface of the earth, into something essential, universal, and eternal! This is still an anthropomorphizing of nature!
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
KSA 9,11 [201]
5 months 3 weeks ago
Sobald es aber möglich wäre, durch einen starken Willen die ganze Weltvergangenheit umzustürzen, sofort träten wir in die Reihe der unabhängigen Götter, und Weltgeschichte hieße dann für uns nichts als ein träumerisches Selbstentrücktsein; der Vorhang fällt, und der Mensch findet sich wieder, wie ein Kind mit Welten spielend, wie ein Kind, das beim Morgenglühen aufwacht und sich lachend die furchtbaren Träume von der Stirn streicht.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
As soon as it becomes possible, by dint of a strong will, to overthrow the entire past of the world, then, in a single moment, we will join the ranks of independent gods. World history for us will then be nothing but a dreamlike otherworldly being. The cu
5 months 3 weeks ago
Freier Wille ohne Fatum ist ebenso wenig denkbar, wie Geist ohne Reelles, Gutes ohne Böses.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Free will without fate is no more conceivable than spirit without matter, good without evil. | "Fatum und Geschichte," April 1862
5 months 3 weeks ago
Style ought to prove that one believes in an idea; not only that one thinks it but also feels it.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Letter to Lou Andreas-Salomé (August 1881), in Salomé's biography of Nietzsche, tr. Siegfried Mandel (1988)
5 months 3 weeks ago
You have committed one of the greatest stupidities — for yourself and for me! Your association with an anti-Semitic chief expresses a foreignness to my whole way of life which fills me again and again with ire or melancholy. ... It is a matter of honor with me to be absolutely clean and unequivocal in relation to anti-Semitism, namely, opposed to it, as I am in my writings. I have recently been persecuted with letters and Anti-Semitic Correspondence Sheets. My disgust with this party (which would like the benefit of my name only too well!) is as pronounced as possible, but the relation to Förster, as well as the aftereffects of my former publisher, the anti-Semitic Schmeitzner, always brings the adherents of this disagreeable party back to the idea that I must belong to them after all. ... It arouses mistrust against my character, as if publicly I condemned something which I have favored secretly — and that I am unable to do anything against it, that the name of Zarathustra is used in every Anti-Semitic Correspondence Sheet, has almost made me sick several times.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Objecting to his sister Elisabeth, about her marriage to the anti-semite Bernhard Förster, in a [http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/nlett1887.htm Christmas letter (1887)] in Friedrich Nietzsche's Collected Letters, Vol. V, #479
5 months 3 weeks ago
I've seen proof, black on white, that Herr Dr. Förster has not yet severed his connection with the anti-Semitic movement. ... Since then I've had difficulty coming up with any of the tenderness and protectiveness I've so long felt toward you. The separation between us is thereby decided in really the most absurd way. Have you grasped nothing of the reason why I am in the world? ... Now it has gone so far that I have to defend myself hand and foot against people who confuse me with these anti-Semitic canaille; after my own sister, my former sister, and after Widemann more recently have given the impetus to this most dire of all confusions. After I read the name Zarathustra in the anti-Semitic Correspondence my forbearance came to an end. I am now in a position of emergency defense against your spouse's Party. These accursed anti-Semite deformities shall not sully my ideal!!
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
[http://www.thenietzschechannel.com/correspondence/eng/nlett-1887.htm Draft for a letter] to his sister Elisabeth Förster-Nietzsche (December 1887).
5 months 3 weeks ago
So far no one had had enough courage and intelligence to reveal me to my dear Germans. My problems are new, my psychological horizon frighteningly comprehensive, my language bold and clear; there may well be no books written in German which are richer in ideas and more independent than mine.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Letter to Carl Fuchs (14 December 1887)
5 months 3 weeks ago
I now myself live, in every detail, striving for wisdom, while I formerly merely worshipped and idolized the wise.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Letter to Mathilde Mayer, July 16, 1878, cited in Karl Jaspers, Nietzsche (Baltimore: 1997), p. 46
5 months 3 weeks ago
In Germany there is much complaining about my "eccentricities." But since it is not known where my center is, it won't be easy to find out where or when I have thus far been "eccentric." That I was a philologist, for example, meant that I was outside my center (which fortunately does not mean that I was a poor philologist). Likewise, I now regard my having been a Wagnerian as eccentric. It was a highly dangerous experiment; now that I know it did not ruin me, I also know what significance it had for me — it was the most severe test of my character.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Letter to Carl Fuchs (14 December 1887)

CivilSimian.com created by AxiomaticPanic, CivilSimian, Kalokagathia