Skip to main content
↑ Back to the start
5 months 3 weeks ago
The whole world is in some ways better than it's ever been in the past. And, indeed, I think for many people the meaning of their lives really depends on that belief. If you strip out that belief in progress, if you start thinking of the world in the way in which the ancient pre-Christian Europeans did, or the Buddhists and the Hindus or the Taoists of China do, many people think that's a kind of despair. I don't know how many times I've been told "If I thought that, John, I wouldn't get up in the morning" and "If I agreed with you, John, that history had no pattern of that kind, I wouldn't get up in the morning." I said, "Well, stay in bed a bit longer, you might find a better reason for getting up."
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Quoted in [http://www.abc.net.au/rn/philosopherszone/stories/2008/2284016.htm "John Gray at the Writers' Festival, part 1,"] The Philosopher's Zone, a discussion with Alan Saunders on ABC Radio National (2008-06-28)
5 months 3 weeks ago
While the Marxist faith in central planning is now confined to a few dingy sects, a quasi-religious belief in free markets continues to shape the policies of governments.Many writers have pointed to the havoc and ruin that have accompanied the imposition of free markets across the world. Whether in Africa, Asia, Latin America or post-communist Europe, policies of wholesale privatisation and structural adjustment have led to declining economic activity and social dislocation on a massive scale.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
[http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/sep/15/politics "The end of the world as we know it,"] The Guardian (2007-09-15)
5 months 3 weeks ago
The result of toppling tyranny in divided countries is usually civil war and ethnic cleansing.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
[http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/jul/31/comment.politics1 "The death of this crackpot creed is nothing to mourn,"] The Guardian (2007-07-31)
5 months 3 weeks ago
Liberals tend to regard being subjects of the Queen as an insult to their dignity. But at least the archaic structures by which we are ruled do not force us to define ourselves by blood, soil or faith, and we are protected from the poisonous politics of identity.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
[http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/jul/29/comment.politics1 "Monarchy is the key to our liberty,"], The Observer (2007-07-29)
5 months 3 weeks ago
Blair has been the modern man he claims to be: for him, a sense of subjective certainty is all that is needed for an action to be right. If deception is needed to realise the providential design, it cannot be truly deceitful.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
[http://web.archive.org/web/20090404081217/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/neoconned-how-blair-took-new-labour-for-a-ride-454209.html "Neoconned!: How Blair took New Labour for a ride,"] The Independent (2007-06-22)
5 months 3 weeks ago
If you want to understand the beliefs that are shaping global politics, read the Book of Revelation.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
[http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/oct/28/politics Review: Sacred Causes] by Michael Burleigh (2006-10-28)
5 months 3 weeks ago
Terror is not now, if it ever was, something that comes to us from outside. It is a part of the society in which we live. Both liberals and neoconservatives believe terrorism can be dealt with by removing its causes. The truth is less reassuring. Al-Qaeda has mutated into a decentralised, often locally based type of apocalyptic terrorism and, in this new guise, seems to be acquiring a formidable momentum.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
[http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/jul/10/july7.terrorism "Look out for the enemy within,"] The Observer (2005-07-10)
5 months 3 weeks ago
The core of the belief in progress is that human values and goals converge in parallel with our increasing knowledge. The twentieth century shows the contrary. Human beings use the power of scientific knowledge to assert and defend the values and goals they already have. New technologies can be used to alleviate suffering and enhance freedom. They can, and will, also be used to wage war and strengthen tyranny. Science made possible the technologies that powered the industrial revolution. In the twentieth century, these technologies were used to implement state terror and genocide on an unprecedented scale. Ethics and politics do not advance in line with the growth of knowledge — not even in the long run.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
"Joseph Conrad, Our Contemporary," from Heresies: Against Progress and Other Illusions (2004)
5 months 3 weeks ago
What I liked was Thatcherism's Bolshevik aspect, which was to shake up the whole of Britain quite fundamentally, and if you read what I wrote in those years I think you might agree that in taking the view that I did then — that this was necessary and desirable — I never subscribed to the main delusion of the Thatcherites, which was that you could change everything and everything would remain the same. If what you wanted was a very anarchic, globalised, polyglot, mixed-up society in which most of the structures which had somehow been renewed from the Edwardian period to the Sixties were destroyed, then Thatcherism was what would do the job.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Quoted in Will Self, "John Gray: Forget everything you know," The Independent (2002-09-03)
5 months 3 weeks ago
I may not be as unambiguously hostile to capitalism as many people are, but what I don't like about it is the commodification of personal experiences, it turns everyone into actors.
0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Quoted in Will Self, [http://web.archive.org/web/20080403080859/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/john-gray-forget-everything-you-know-641878.html "John Gray: Forget everything you know,"] The Independent (2002-09-03)

CivilSimian.com created by AxiomaticPanic, CivilSimian, Kalokagathia