Skip to main content
↑ Back to the start
8 months 2 days ago

High school is closer to the core of the American experience than anything else I can think of.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Introduction to Our Time Is Now: Notes From the High School Underground, John Birmingham, ed.
8 months 2 days ago

I sometimes wondered what the use of any of the arts was. The best thing I could come up with was what I call the canary in the coal mine theory of the arts. This theory says that artists are useful to society because they are so sensitive. They are super-sensitive. They keel over like canaries in poison coal mines long before more robust types realize that there is any danger whatsoever.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Physicist, Purge Thyself in the Chicago Tribune Magazine
8 months 2 days ago

Be kind. Don't kill for any reason. Don't even kill out of self-defense. Really - I mean that. Don't take any more than you need of anything. Help others.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
From a speech given on 20 January 1969 at the University of Michigan, about two months before Slaughterhouse Five was published
8 months 2 days ago

Science fiction is like other writing. It is just novels and short stories with machines.

0
⚖0
8 months 2 days ago

There is a similarity between writers and SDS [Students for a Democratic Society, a radical left-wing group]: Plenty of paranoia, but no ideas.

0
⚖0
8 months 2 days ago

The big advantage of being a chemistry major was the freedom to be tasteless.

0
⚖0
8 months 2 days ago

If you are going to be a writer, you must be paranoid. The thing is, in the arts if you don't overreact, you fall asleep.

0
⚖0
That's everything.

Works (Thanks to Project Gutenberg)

CivilSimian.com created by AxiomaticPanic, CivilSimian, Kalokagathia