Skip to main content
8 months 2 weeks ago

The Spirit of the Laws became the nobleman's Bible all over Europe.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Catherine Behrens, The Ancien Régime (1967), p. 78
8 months 2 weeks ago

Useless laws weaken the necessary laws.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Book XXIX: Of the Manner of Composing Laws, Chapter 16: Things to be Observed in the Composing of Laws
8 months 2 weeks ago

It is a paralogism to say, that the good of the individual should give way to that of the public; this can never take place, except when the government of the community, or, in other words, the liberty of the subject is concerned; this does not affect such cases as relate to private property, because the public good consists in everyone's having his property, which was given him by the civil laws, invariably preserved.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Book XXVI, Chapter 15.
8 months 2 weeks ago

Democratic and aristocratic states are not in their own nature free. Political liberty is to be found only in moderate governments; and even in these it is not always found. It is there only when there is no abuse of power. But constant experience shows us that every man who has power is inclined to abuse it; he goes until he finds limits. Is it not strange, though true, to say that virtue itself has need of limits?.To prevent this abuse, it is necessary that, by the arrangement of things, power shall stop power. A government may be so constituted, as no man shall be compelled to do things to which the law does not oblige him, nor forced to abstain from things which the law permits.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Book XI, Chapter 4.
8 months 2 weeks ago

One must give one power a ballast, so to speak, to put it in a position to resist another.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
Book V, Chapter 14.
8 months 2 weeks ago

You have to study a great deal to know a little.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
I
8 months 2 weeks ago

If I knew of something that could serve my nation but would ruin another, I would not propose it to my prince, for I am first a man and only then a Frenchman, because I am necessarily a man, and only accidentally am I French.

0
⚖0
▼ Source
source
I.
8 months 2 weeks ago

I have always observed that to succeed in the world one should appear like a fool but be wise.

0
⚖0
8 months 2 weeks ago

The success of most things depends upon knowing how long it will take to succeed.

0
⚖0
8 months 2 weeks ago

Raillery is a mode of speaking in favor of one's wit at the expense of one's better nature.

0
⚖0

CivilSimian.com created by AxiomaticPanic, CivilSimian, Kalokagathia